Eden Hazard of Real Madrid has been named the 2018/19 UEFA Europa League Player of the Season. The 28-year-old Belgian attacking midfielder beat his former Chelsea club-mate Olivier Giroud and his current Real Madrid teammate Luka Jovi to win the third edition of the award, which was announced during the UEFA Europa League group stage draw on Friday, August 30,
In a judging panel of 48 club coaches and 55 journalists, Hazard finished 221 points ahead of his former Chelsea team-mate Olivier Giroud.
“Thank you to everyone who voted for me and I’d like to wish everybody playing in the Europa League good luck,” said Hazard after winning the award
Hazard was named man of the match as Chelsea beat Arsenal 4-1 in May’s final in Baku after his impressive performance in the competition.
Top-10 Europa League Player of 2018/19.
1. Eden Hazard (Chelsea, now Real Madrid) – 340 points
2. Olivier Giroud (Chelsea) – 119 points
3. Luka Jovic (Eintracht, now Real Madrid) – 94 points
4. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Arsenal) – 65 points
5. Alexandre Lacazette (Arsenal) – 19 points
6. N’Golo Kanté (Chelsea) – 16 points
7. João Félix (Benfica, now Atlético) – 12 points